Sunday, January 27, 2008

 

Stupid Tree or maybe Stupid Me






When I got home on Saturday morning from dropping Bryan back off in Augusta, I was out in the backyard looking around and for some strange reason I decided to cut down this 50ft dead Pine tree. I think it has something to do with me reading this book about the Lewis and Clark expedition. I was thinking, they didn't have chainsaws back then and they cut down trees all the time with an axe (by the way- my chainsaw is broken). So I went in the garage and got out the old trustworthy axe and started swinging away and away and away. Well, after several hours of swinging, I almost just gave up. But I felt I was getting closer and closer to knocking down this dumb tree, so I just kept whacking away. The problem was, this tree just did not want to fall down. I had cut a large wedge on one side more than halfway through the tree and a small wedge on the other that was literally within 2-3 inches from the large wedge. So this tree was standing 50ft tall balanced on a 2-3 inch gap. I couldn't believe it, so I had Kim take some pictures. It just wouldn't fall over. I even backed the Explorer back into the yard and tied cables and rope around the tree and tried pulling the tree over with no luck. I kept snapping the cable and rope. Well, I had pretty much given up hope that this tree would ever fall when I decided to give it a couple more whacks. Finally the tree started falling and guess what? The dumb thing gets stuck in another Pine tree next to it. So we tried pulling it over again with cables and rope, snapping both again. Then Kim comes running out of the house and says, "My mom and dad are on their way with the chainsaw". How lucky I am that I live in a day when we have chainsaws. I don't think I would have made it way back when, when they cut down trees to make their houses, boats, and almost everything they built was out of wood. Anyways Kim's dad shows up and we had that dumb tree cut down and into pieces in like 1 hour. Anyway I just thought I would share a couple pictures of this tree. Hope you enjoy. We love you.

Comments:
Yeah - I think it's stupid me -- not stupid tree. hee hee. Looks like that one didn't want to come out. Wow -- I'm jealous of all of those trees you have in your backyard. Reminds me of gma Dwiggins' yard and running around in it when we were kids. Glad you finally got that thing out! Maybe next time you should just start with the chainsaw! :o) Love you guys!
 
When are you going to update this darn blog??
 
HI JASON AND KIM AND CALEB AND AUSTIN!!!! I LOVE YOU ALL AND CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU IN MEXICO!!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]